CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 15, 2008

Death from a 4year old perspective

Lily's assistant teacher in pre-k died about a month ago. She was in her later sixties, maybe even early seventies and Lily called her grandma Henderson instead of Mrs. Henderson. She had gotten sick fairly suddenly (stage 4 lung cancer) and hadn't been there for the few weeks prior. So when sitting at the dinner table a few days later, I had wondered if the teacher had told them about her passing. I decided to ask her in a subtle way , "Was Mrs. H at school today?" She looks back and forth between Chris and I perplexed, and then like we must be complete idiots and replies with all seriousness, "NO! She's still dead!" All while rolling her eyes. God, I love having kids on these days. Although I think it was sad that she died, the way kids phrase things is truly priceless. Of course we tried not to burst into laughter, but did a little, and she thought of course that we were laughing at her teachers death and we assured that there was nothing at all funny about that and quickly changed the subject.

3 comments:

The Mossmans said...

That's the beauty of kids - they are blunt and honest. And, I can totally see Lily saying that complete with her signature eye roll. Hilarious.

On a side note, what a sad story. I think death is a hard concept for lots of kids so I hope her class has recovered.

ginny said...

Oh my, my, that is some serious shiznit...I love it! Poor grandma H...but at least she's still dead! Cuz that would be much harder to explain!!

Anonymous said...

That was so funny, I can totally hear Lilly say that!! LOL

Jess